I slipped at the store and now my back hurts; what’s wrong?

On Behalf of | Aug 7, 2020 | Personal injury

You slipped on a wet floor at the grocery store while reaching for some milk, and your back has ached ever since. Do you need aspirin or a spine specialist? 

You deserve proper medical care. Laws regarding personal injury and premises liability can be complex, so you may need some help as you figure out what course of action to take. Do not let worry over medical bills make you hesitate to seek treatment. Educate yourself and know your rights. 

Muscle strain

If your fall caused you to overstretch muscles in your back you will likely experience pain or spasms. A severe strain may damage ligaments. You may experience stiffness when you try to move or tenderness in the region of the damage. Rest your back for the first few days then move to gentle stretches. Pain should respond well to over-the-counter remedies and ease in four to six weeks. 

Vertebrae fracture

If you struck something as you fell, you may have actually broken one of the bones in your spine. The bones, called vertebrae, may suffer small fractures or more serious burst fractures that can harm the spinal cord. If you are enduring extreme pain or having trouble with your excretory system, see a doctor immediately. An x-ray will help doctors determine the best course of treatment. 

Nerve damage

Severe spinal cord injuries are typically the result of car accidents or falls from height. However, in some cases, a simple slip may lead to nerve damage. You may have damaged your spinal cord if your arms, legs or groin feel numb or weak. You may not realize the full extent of your injury at the time of the fall. See a specialist soon; early intervention and treatment are keys to your recovery.